The New South Wales Government has released its Cleaning Up Our Act- Redirecting the Future of Plastics in NSW Discussion Paper. It is seeking your views on how plastic waste and litter could be reduced, with four outcomes:
- The phase-out of single use plastics
- Tripling the proportion of plastics recycled in NSW by 2030
- Reducing plastic litter by 25% by 2025
- Making NSW a leader in plastic research and innovation
A welcome, long awaited promise is to phase-out lightweight plastic shopping bags (less than 35 microns thick, including those made from degradable and 'compostable' plastic).
If you prefer to have the discussion paper read to you, Boomerang Alliance together with our allies have made a recording of the Discussion Paper Reading done in four parts which you can view below.
ACTION 1: COMPLETE THE SHORT SURVEY
The short survey should take about 5 minutes to complete - https://yoursay.dpie.nsw.gov.au/plastics-plan/short-survey We have created a document for you to download as a guideline to help you complete the short survey.
ACTION 2: COMPLETE THE DETAILED SURVEY
The detailed survey should take about 20 minutes to one hour to complete - https://yoursay.dpie.nsw.gov.au/plastics-plan/detailed-survey
Submission template for individual
I support urgent action to eliminate problematic and unnecessary single use plastics in NSW, including:
- A ban of lightweight plastic bags (including degradable and ‘compostable’ bags) in 2020
- A ban on single-use plastic takeaway items such as straws, stirrers, cutlery, plates/bowls, coffee cups/lids, containers and heavyweight plastic bags in 2021
- An immediate ban on polystyrene cups, bowls and containers
- An investigation into and future policies designed to reduce other single use plastics in the home, in retail, business and industry, agriculture and used in the marine environment
[Your Name and address]
Submission template for organisation
We have put together a more comprehensive submission template for community groups and organisations. You can download the template and use it as it is (adding your group/organisation's name) or you can amend/add to the text as needed.
NSW PLASTICS PLAN DISCUSSION PAPER READING