Now that all states and territories will have operating Container Refund Schemes within 12 months, we are thinking about what could happen next to further improve and expand their reach.
- Extension to other containers: wine and spirits are first cab off the rank and it was pleasing to see Qld move with a 1 Nov start date. It is inevitable that other states will follow. However, we can go further to include plain milk, health drinks, juices and cordials (glass) – and non drink containers.
- Recovery not good enough: currently the national rate of 65%, leaves 35% or billions of containers either littered, landfilled or low value in kerbside bins. Serious examination of greater incentives such a raising the refund to 20c should be undertaken, especially as inflation reduces the value of the present 10c.
- Keeping a close eye on Vic rollout: Victoria decided to have three Network Operators to run refund points – a result many question for its rationality However, the state government’s start date of 1 November 2023 is highly anticipated – Victorians have waited long enough!