Marketing / Administrative Support Interns (X3)
Work Type/s: Unpaid Work Experience
Contract Summary: 16-24 hours / week for at least 3 months (days are negotiable)
- Marketing and sales
- Event Management
Location: Positions based in Surry Hills, NSW
Overview: Boomerang Alliance is the peak ENGO voice on waste, recycling, litter and marine debris in Australia – reflecting the views of our member groups and acting as the focal point for our combined campaign efforts. Our work is directed by a team of 10 staff: 7 based at TEC in NSW, 2 in Qld and 1 in Vic.
Over the past 12 years, our work programs have expanded into every aspect of the waste stream. Our efforts have seen a high level of success including: the introduction of Container Deposit Systems in the NT, NSW, QLD and the ACT (with WA expected to follow shortly); plastic bag bans in SA, NT, Tasmania and the ACT; the introduction of Product Stewardship Schemes, Tyres and CFL globes; strengthened laws on illegal dumping and litter; the introduction and increase of waste levies in NSW, Victoria, SA and WA. But there are still many other areas that need attention in stemming the tide of plastic and other waste pollution.
In response to the UN Environment Programme’s declaration of a ‘War on Marine Plastic Pollution’ and the recent call for improved collaboration to address the problem, Boomerang Alliance is hosting Australia’s first conference looking at solutions to this growing problem.
To facilitate that cross-sectoral collaboration, we will gather together the three tiers of government; impacted and impacting industry; the academic and scientific community; and local communities/not for profit sectors - to highlight the extent of the problem and to identify credible solutions to removing undesirable plastics from the waste stream.
The Positions: Our 3 internships are aimed at providing practical work experience to young Australians who want to develop a career in the ENGO sector. Interns will work closely with our Deputy Director to promote and deliver the “Beyond Plastic Pollution Conference”.
Learning opportunities include:
- Conference preparation documents e.g. project plan, venue matrix, event order, staffing schedules
- Committee documentation e.g. agendas, action notes, general communications
- Conference speaker management e.g. abstract process including communication with authors, preparation of papers for inclusion in program and publication
- Conference promotion and ticket sales
- Conference delivery onsite e.g. registration, customer service, program management, bump in and bump out.
The successful applicants would be expected to be able to demonstrate:
- Studying or recently completed study in Marketing / Event Management
- Excellent sales skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills – able to produce spontaneous, coherent and persuasive argument for a general and specific audience
- The ability to build good working relationships with all kinds of people
- A passion for environmental protection
- Competence in basic office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
- Eexcellent attention to detail
- Positive “can do” attitude
- Experience working within small teams
- Personal organisation and time management skills including the capacity to work to tight deadlines
- An understanding of the problems associated with plastic, particularly in the marine context.
Next Steps: Applications close on Friday 18 August 2017 - If you are looking for an opportunity to learn within a dynamic, fast paced and highly respected organisation, please submit a cover letter and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. To find out more about the positions call Jayne Paramor (9280 2130). For more information about Boomerang Alliance see – www.boomerangalliance.org.au